“Toward a More Free and Just Global Economy”
With great pleasure we present for your serious consideration and support a “Statement of Shared Vision” that was jointly developed by Shann Turnbull, the Australian author of Democratizing the Wealth of Nations, and Norman Kurland, a pioneer of employee stock ownership law in the U.S. and advocate since the mid 1960s of the late Louis Kelso’s ideas for reaching the same goal as expressed in the title of Shann’s book.
If you agree to become a signatory to this statement, we ask you also to make a concerted effort to get at least 10 others in your personal and professional networks around the world to join as signatories and make a similar commitment. In this “each one reach ten” approach we will achieve the critical mass of positive people power needed to build a better world for ourselves and future generations.
The names of all the signatories will be posted on the web site. As soon as 10,000 signatories worldwide sign our “Statement of Shared Vision” and join our movement for raising the level of justice in the global economic order, we will convene a global conference in Washington, D.C. At the conference we will explore alternative ideas, economic systems, global strategies and the most effective ways and means to achieve our shared vision consistent with universal principles of human rights.
If you agree to join this bottom-up grassroots initiative for creating a more prosperous and just world for all, please add your name and contact data to the bottom of the statement and return it by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax at 780-778-4485.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Norman G. Kurland, J.D. Shann Turnbull, Ph.D.
Center for Economic and Social Justice Direct Eml: email@example.com
Direct Eml: firstname.lastname@example.org Web: members.optusnet.com.au/~sturnbull/
Having entered the third millennium, new ideas are emerging on how to overcome:
- Widespread poverty, hunger and homelessness,
- The growing wealth gap between the richest 1% and the remaining 99% of humanity,
- The growing fear of technological change and its impact on the global environment and the quality of life at the family and community level,
- The rising sense of powerlessness and alienation among the young toward traditional leadership and basic institutions of human society,
- The growing levels of corruption and crime resulting from concentrated power,
- The proliferating violence and deprivation of human rights -- at the family, community and global levels.
We mutually acknowledge the reality of these concerns and agree that none of the traditional approaches -- from the left to the right of the political spectrum -- can adequately address these social ills.
We therefore join together seeking a new, more liberating and just economic system that will promote human dignity and bring about genuine economic empowerment, security and self-determination for every member of the human family. This is our shared vision.
Further, we agree that the critical means to attain these goals within the emerging global marketplace will require:
- the elevation of full participation in future productive asset ownership as a universal and fundamental human right;
- the democratization of credit to widely spread the ownership of self-financing productive assets and other basic economic reforms as appropriate means for closing the wealth gap between the rich and the non-rich; and
- new policies and laws that lift the non-rich without depriving the rich of fundamental human rights.
In solidarity with our shared vision and goals, we hereby acknowledge our support for universal access to productive asset ownership as a fundamental human right. While respecting possible differences, we will strive to work together whenever possible and to promote dialogues, debates and conferences in which all can participate.